Thursday, May 31, 2012

The Jovial Beggarman

This song originally comes from a 17th century play called The Jovial Crew by Richard Brome. It was first staged in 1642 during the reign of Charles I and then again in 1661 after the restoration of Charles II. It appeared in a number of broadsides from the 17th to early 19th centuries and can be found on line at the Bodleian Library Broadside collection

The chords are as I use on my You Tube recording where I use a concert ukulele tuned in standard GCEA. There were many more verses in the original and a number of variants. This is just my selection.

Chords used in this song


There [C] was a jovial beggar, he had a wooden [G] leg.
[C] Lame from his cradle and [G7] forcèd for to [C] beg.

Chorus
And [G] a-begging we will [C] go we will go;
A-[F]-begging [G7] we will [C] go.

A bag for my oatmeal, another for my rye.
A little bottle by my side to drink when I am dry.

Within a hollow tree I live and there I pay no rent.
Providence provides for me and I am well content.

I begged for my master; got him a store of wealth
But now Jove be praised, I beg for myself.

When we are disposèd, we tumble in the grass
With long patchèd coats for to hide a pretty lass.

To London we will go where we will merry be;
With ev'ry man a can in hand, a lass upon his knee

Of all the trades in England, the begging is the best.
For when a beggar's tired, he can lay him down and rest.

I fear no plots against me, I hear no master's bell.
Then who would be a king when a beggar does so well?

1 comment: